What to Bring with You When We’re Walking in the Hills
We must be prepared and have the right clothes and footwear in the hills, where the weather can change very quickly. Please dress for the conditions and be prepared for rain, a shower, or it just getting colder.
A quick check of the local weather forecast in the morning will help you decide what to wear and bring, but the following is essential.
- Walking boots and comfortable socks
- Polyester cotton trousers; no denim jeans, please
- A waterproof coat, waterproof trousers, a hat and gloves; a sunhat such as a baseball cap for sunny days
- One bottle of water per person, 1 to 1.5 litres is recommended
- A spare jumper or fleece; it’s always nice to have a warm top to put on if needed
- A picnic lunch and some snacks
- A small rucksack to carry it all in and please put everything inside the rucksack in a plastic bag of some sort; rucksacks are not waterproof
- A camera
- Walking poles
- Walking gaiters
Cameras and mobile phones should be kept dry and are best put inside in a waterproof container/box. A combination of rain and/or condensation can quickly damage your phone or camera.