Learn map & compass skills
You can join Footsteps for a day to learn how to navigate with a map and a compass, a useful and essential skill if you want to enjoy your own walking adventures wherever that might be. We can tailor your day to suit your needs, whether that is in the lowlands, along the coast or in the hills of Northumberland National Park. Map and compass skills can be learned and used just about anywhere, so once you have learned the basics and taken the time to practice and develop those skills, you'll be ready to go.
On our navigation training days you will learn how to:
- Orientate the map
- Take a grid reference
- Take a compass bearing and follow it on the ground
- Accurately pace to a fixed point on the map
- Use contour lines to help you navigate
- Develop your relocation skills if you're unsure of your precise location
- Select which compass and maps to buy to get the most from your walking adventures
We will also introduce you to the use of a GPS and some of the many other technological devices that are now available to support your map and compass skills.
The fee for the map and compass skills course is £50.00 per person and you can book and pay online by clicking on the date in the calendar below.